First Steps Program
First Steps is a home visiting program aimed at providing health and social services to families with children from before birth through age five. This project is a collaborate effort of the Department of Public Health and the Child Welfare Services Division of the Human Services Agency.
- Assist clients to understand their health conditions and treatment plans
- Make referrals to health care and other social services
- Help access services, including interpretation and transportation for medical reasons when needed
- Help obtain health care coverage, including Medi-Cal and Healthy Families
- Provide counseling for substance abuse and assistance to obtain treatment when needed
- Assist families with understanding their child's development and learning effective parenting skills
- Assist clients whose children are at risk of neglect or abuse
Services are provided free to all clients. Participation is voluntary.