CUPA & Hazardous Materials / Waste Information

Merced County Department of Public Health, Division of Environmental Health (MCDEH) oversees six state-mandated programs in Merced County. Businesses that belong to any of those six programs are routinely inspected by the Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA) team. Our approach is education-based and we focus on customer service. We have partnered with NES Global to offer free classes covering a variety of topics from each of the programs we regulate.  

CUPA/Hazmat Programs:

  1. Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP)Hazmat tanks
  2. California Accidental Release Program (CalARP)
  3. Underground Storage Tank Program (UST)
  4. Aboveground Storage Tank Program (APSA)
  5. Hazardous Waste Generator Program
  6. Tiered Permitting Program

NEW – FREE 2022 Merced County Environmental Compliance WEBINARS

Environmental Reporting

To access the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) Step-by-Step User Guide, please visit CERS Step-by-Step User Guide.

To access the AB 1429 Guidance Document regarding the current Hazardous Materials Business Plan(HMBP) submittal requirements, please click on the following link: AB 1429 Guidance Document

For Information and to access the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) to create an account or to update/submit your Hazardous Material Business Plan (HMBPs) electronically, please visit the CERS website.

To report a hazardous materials spill or release, contact the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) warning center at 1-800-852-7550. For additional information, please view the Cal OES Hazardous Materials Spill / Release Notification Guide and visit the Cal OES website at


For FAQ regarding the storage of Hazardous Materials and Hazardous Material Business Plans (HMBPs), please view the Hazardous Material Business Plan FAQ

Household Hazardous Waste Events

For more information regarding household hazardous waste landfills at the Highway 59 or Billy Wright                     Landfills, please visit:

Underground Storage

To download the UST Permit Application: Install, Upgrade, Repair, & Closure, please click here: UST Permit           Application

To download the UST Closure Procedures guidance document, please click here: UST Closure Guidance Document 

For more information on the deadlines for the Overfill Prevention Equipment Inspection, please view the State Water Resources Control Board’s letter here: Regulatory Deadline for Overfill Prevention Equipment Inspection Letter 

For Underground Storage Tank forms and information, please visit: California Water Boards Underground Storage Tank Program

Aboveground Storage

For information regarding Aboveground Storage Tanks and SPCC plans, please visit: Environmental Protection Agency

For a breakdown of SPCC Plans, please click here: Breakdown of SPCC Plans 

For the Aboveground Tank System Closure Application, please click here: Aboveground Tank System Closure Application

The CAL FIRE-Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) Information Bulletin 14-005 provides information regarding the prohibited use of underground storage tanks (USTs) as aboveground storage tanks (ASTs). For more information, please select the links below:

July 25, 2014 -OSFM Information Bulletin 14-005: Underground Fuel Storage Tanks Prohibited for Use as Aboveground Fuel Storage Tanks

January 29, 2015 -OFSM Information Bulletin 14-005 Addendum: Underground Storage Tanks Being Sold as Aboveground Storage Tanks

Hazardous Waste Generator

To obtain a permanent State ID number or to inactivate your number with the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), please complete and submit DTSC Form 1358. This number is required to dispose of non-RCRA waste, such as used oil or universal waste. For more guidance and/or to download the form, please visit


To obtain a permanent Federal EPA ID number or to inactivate your number with the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), please complete and electronically submit the US EPA Form 8700-12 on your myRCRAid System or download the paper form. This number is required to dispose of more than 100 kg of RCRA hazardous waste and/or 1 kg of acutely hazardous waste per month.  If you generate less than those amounts, you will need a permanent state ID number instead. For more guidance on how to access myRCRAid and/or to download the paper form to mail to DTSC, please visit


If you have any questions, comments or concerns, scheduling needs, or other requests, please contact us via email or phone.



Phone: (209) 381-1100