The Merced County Law Library provides free access to legal information for the judiciary, members of the State Bar, public officials, and to all residents of the county for the purpose of education and research.
The Merced County Law Library does not engage in the practice of Law, does not provide legal advice, and does not perform legal research. Furthermore, the Law Library is not responsible for any inaccuracy of legal information found on the Web. The Library staff strongly recommends that all legal information found on the internet be verified through alternate sources.
Law Library Board of Trustees
The Board of Law Library Trustees is constituted of seven members, two of which are Superior Court judges. Governing board is administrative in nature and as such has the authority to set policy, determine the budget, and establish other details necessary to complete the daily operations of the library. The trustees are:
- Casey Aitchison, Esq. (President)
- HON. Carol Ash
- Thomas Min, Esq. (Vice President)
- Wayne Eisenhart
- HON. John Kirihara
- George Leavell, Esq.
- Kelly Fincher, Esq.
- 12,185 volumes, California and Federal cases, statutes, treatises, and periodicals.
- California Probate, Commercial, Civil, Code of Civil Procedure, Family, Penal, Vehicle, Evidence, Government, and Corporations Codes.CA Juvenile Laws and Rules, CA Employment Laws , CA Central Rules of the Court and CA Local Rules of the Court.
- Witkins, CA Procedure 5th,
- City Ordinances for Merced, Atwater, Los Banos, and Dos Palos. Merced County Ordinances.
- Nolo Press, “How to do your own…divorce, landlord/tenant, child support modification, guardianship, small claims, bankruptcy, and probate,” self-help books.
Staff is available to advise you which materials might be helpful in you research, where they are located, and how to find them.
- Reference Assistance: Including limited telephone reference.
- Photocopying: Copies are 25 cents.
- Fax: Transmittal charges are $1.00 page to send and receive.
- Room: Out of town attorneys can rent for depositions for $50.00 half day or $75.00 Full day depending on availability.
All county residents, Local attorneys may borrow designated titles. Services can be accessed best by coming into the library.