In March 1982, the Fleet Service Management System was formally authorized, developed, and organized under the Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-61.
Fleet Service Management was established to provide Merced County with a total fleet management and control system, which would provide:
- Each County department with the means to continuously upgrade and protect its vehicles
- Daily fuel dispensing at a central location; thereby, minimizing the cost to the County
- Vehicle maintenance to the County fleet
- Centralized control for the management of the County fleet
- The Board of Supervisors with accurate, up-to-date vehicle cost and usage reports
This Division is self-supporting in that all costs are charged out to the recipients of the services provided through operation and maintenance and using Fleet Service Replacement charges based on miles driven by each department.