A child has a right to:
- A continuing relationship with both parents.
- Be treated not as a piece of property, but as a human being recognized to have unique feelings, ideas, and desires consistent with that of an individual.
- Continuing care and proper guidance from each parent.
- Not to be unduly influenced by either parent to view the other parent differently.
- Express love, friendship, and respect for both parents: freedom from having to hide those stated emotions or made to be ashamed of such.
- An explanation that the impending action of divorce was in no way caused by the child's actions.
- Not to be the subject and/or source of any and all arguments.
- Continuing honest feedback with respect to the divorce process and its impact on the changing relationships of the family.
- Maintain regular contact with both parents and a clear explanation for any change in plans and/or cancellations.
- Enjoy a pleasurable relationship with both parents, never to be employed as a manipulative bargaining tool.