Influenza (Flu) Information
General Flu Information for the 2012-13 Flu Season
Flu season generally begins in the fall and can last into the spring each year. In 2012-13, flu vaccinations are recommended for everyone six (6) months of age and older. Population groups most at risk for complications from the flu include:
- People with chronic disease conditions including asthma and other lung diseases, heart disease and diabetes;
- Pregnant woman;
- People who live with and/or care for those at high risk.
Getting vaccinated, whether by nasal spray or by injection (shot), is still the best protection against the flu.
Here are some additional important ways to protect yourself and your family from the flu and complications from flu illness:
- Wash your hands frequently or use alcohol-based hand cleaners;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, as germs spread this way;
- Cover your nose and mouth and/or aim into your elbow when you sneeze and cough, and throw used tissues away immediately, into a waste basket or trash can;
- Avoid close contact with sick people, especially people with the flu;
- If you are ill, stay home from work, school, or public places.
Where Can You Get the Flu Vaccine?
Flu vaccine is available at many convenient community locations. Check with your regular doctor, clinic or at a local pharmacy. Additional providers can be found through the CDC Flu Vaccine Finder at: www.flu.gov.
Medi-Cal, Medicare, and most private insurances cover the cost of immunizations including flu.
Merced County Department of Public Health Offers Flu Shots
Beginning in November, flu shots will also be offered by the Merced County Department of Public Health during the department 's regularly scheduled immunization clinics in both Merced and Los Banos.
Click on the web links in the “What’s New” section below for dates, time and locations for these clinics.
Flu clinic schedules are also available by calling the Merced County Flu Info Line at (209) 381-1180. [Llame a la línea de información sobre la gripe en español (209) 381 -1181 para más información]
Other Important Websites