The Merced County District Attorney's Office recognizes that with the growing sophistication of automobile insurance fraud rings, an equally sophisticated and aggressive law enforcement effort is required to combat them. The District Attorney's Office investigates and prosecutes this costly criminal activity, which can include:
- Filing more than one claim for a single injury.
- Filing claims not related to an automobile accident.
- Staged accidents.
- "Paper" accidents which never actually occurred.
- Medical treatment fraud.
- Fraudulent claims by auto body repair shops.
- Fraud involving the issuance of insurance policies or processing of claims.
- Feigned or staged automobile thefts.
- Crimes of violence, such as manslaughter, which may arise from staged accidents.