Merced County California
I am the victim of a crime and I want to drop charges. Can I do this?
Crimes are charged by the District Attorney’s Office on behalf of the People of the State of California, not on behalf of any particular victim. The decision to file or to drop charges in any criminal prosecution can only be made by an attorney in the District Attorney’s Office. A victim’s wishes will be considered, but the final determination as to whether or not charges will be filed or dismissed rests with the D.A.’s Office. You may, however, fill out a “Memorandum”. To do this you must come to our office located at 550 W. Main Street, Merced, California. Speak to the person at the front desk and ask to fill out a drop charges memorandum.

District Attorney

Show All Answers

1. Can I report a crime to the District Attorney's Office?
2. I am the victim of a crime and I want to drop charges. Can I do this?
3. I was the victim of a violent crime and need assistance with paying medical, funeral, mental health, income or other related losses. Where can I get this assistance?
4. I have to testify in court and it is making me very anxious. I am concerned about not knowing what to expect. Who can I talk to about my concerns?
5. How can I lodge a complaint against your office?
6. How can I file a complaint involving another law enforcement agency?

Merced County 2222 M Street Merced, CA 9543 Ph. (209) 385-7434 Toll Free (800) 226-6452
striving for excellence