STRIVING FOR EXCELLENCE
A G E N D A
Tuesday, February 07, 2012
Closed Session – 8:30 a.m.
Regular Meeting – 10:00 a.m.
2222 “M” STREET
BOARD ROOM, THIRD FLOOR
MERCED, CALIFORNIA 95340
JOHN PEDROZO…..DISTRICT 1
CHAIRMAN HUBERT “HUB” WALSH, JR….DISTRICT 2
LINN DAVIS…..DISTRICT 3
DEIDRE F. KELSEY….DISTRICT 4
JERRY O’BANION…..DISTRICT 5
JAMES L. BROWN
JAMES N. FINCHER
COUNTY EXECUTIVE OFFICER
The Agenda is divided into three sections:
CONSENT CALENDAR – These matters include routine financial and administrative actions and are approved by a single majority vote.
SCHEDULED ITEMS – These items are noticed hearings, work sessions and public hearings.
REGULAR CALENDAR – These items include significant policy and administration actions. Immediately after approval of the CONSENT CALENDAR, if the time of the hearing of SCHEDULED ITEMS has not arrived, the REGULAR CALENDAR will be considered.
8:30 A. M. THE PUBLIC IS INVITED TO SPEAK ON ANY ITEM ON THE AGENDA-
TESTIMONY IS LIMITED TO FIVE MINUTES PER PERSON
CLOSED SESSION - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - SIGNIFICANT EXPOSURE TO LITIGATION: It is the intention of the Board to meet in Closed Session pursuant to Government Code Section 54956(b): Two Cases
CLOSED SESSION: It is the intention of the Board to meet in Closed Session pursuant to Government Code Section 54957.6 concerning a Conference with County of Merced Staff Negotiators concerning negotiations with American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), Units 4, 5, 6 and 8; Independent Employees of Merced County (IEMC), Unit 3; Merced County Lawyers Association, Unit 7; Merced County Sheriff Employee Association (MCSEA), Unit 2; Merced County Law Enforcement Sergeants, Unit P; Deputy Sheriff Association, Unit 10; Non-Safety Corrections, Unit 12; and Probation Supervising Employees, Unit 11.
GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 54950 COMPLIANCE (LATE AGENDA ITEMS)
10:00 A. M. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
PUBLIC OPPORTUNITY TO SPEAK ON ANY MATTER OF PUBLIC INTEREST WITHIN THE BOARD'S JURISDICTION INCLUDING ITEMS ON THE BOARD'S AGENDA, EXCEPT FOR THOSE ITEMS SPECIFICALLY SCHEDULED AS PUBLIC HEARINGS (Testimony limited to five minutes per person)
1) Black History Month - Proclamation
2) Buy Local Video Presentation
APPROVAL OF CONSENT AGENDA CALENDAR (Items #1 - 12)
To consider proposed ordinance entitled: An Ordinance amending fee schedule for Mental Health Services (Supersedes Ordinance No. 1884 and amends Merced County Code, Chapter 9.48, Section 9.48.030.)
County Executive Officer, County Counsel, Board of Supervisors Members
CONSENT CALENDAR (Items # 1 - 12 )
1. Approve and authorize the Chairman to sign Amendment Contract No. 2003162 with Riggs Ambulance Service for a subcontractor agreement with Sierra Medical Service Alliance to support exclusive ground ambulance services in Merced County.
2. Approve Budget Transfer in the amount of $5,000 for a printer/photocopier which is no longer repairable and used to produce certified copies of birth and death certificates.
Human Services Agency
3. Approve and authorize the Chairman to sign Amendment Contract No. 2004249 with California Department of Aging for Health Insurance Counseling Advocacy Program (HICAP) services, adopt Resolution, and approve necessary budget transfer. (4/5 Vote Required)
4. Approve and authorize the Chairman to sign Amendment Contract No. 2011021 with California Department of Aging for Medicare Improvement for Patient and Provider Act Program (MIPPA) services, adopt Resolution, and approve necessary budget transfer. (4/5 Vote Required)
5. Approve and authorize the Chairman to sign amendment Contract No. 2010111 with Brian Luis, applicant, for the consultant, Environmental Planning Partners, Inc., to complete Tasks 7, 8, and 9 as part of the Initial Study/Negative declaration for the Luis Dairy Expansion Project (CUP10-001).
6. Approve and authorize the Chairman to sign Amendment Contract No. 2010110 with Environmental Planning Partners, Inc., to complete Tasks 7, 8, and 9 as part of the Initial Study/Negative declaration for the Luis Dairy Expansion Project (CUP10-001) and approve the necessary budget transfer. (4/5 Vote Required)
7. Grant the County Tax Collector Relief for Shortages in the amount of $40 and authorize the Tax Collector to replenish the amount for the counterfeit bills.
8. Approve travel request received from Human Services Agency as recommended by Executive Office.
9. Authorize Certificate of Recognition to WIRED Internet Cafe in celebration of Grand Re-Opening.
10. Authorize Certificates of Recognition to the following individuals for receiving Merced County Chamber of Commerce awards as follows: Judy Gandy, 2011 Good Business Citizen of the Year; Jeannie Fluetsch Bliss, 2011 Businesswoman of the Year; Jim Abbate, 2011 Businessman of the Year; Razzari Motors, 2011 Business of the Year; Dave Long and Marvin Hanneman, 2011 Ambassador of Goodwill; M. Stephen Jones, 2011 Outgoing President; and certificate of recognition to Dawn Kinney for retirement and 14 years of dedicated service to the Merced County Chamber of Commerce.
11. Authorize Certificate of Recognition for Hilmar Health Center for Ribbon Cutting and Open House.
12. Authorize Certificate of Recognition to Brian Mimura for dedicated service to Merced County.
13. Contract with Shamrock "S" Pollination Service, Inc. to lease approximately ten (10) acres on State Route 165 in Stevinson for five years for the temporary storage and removal of beehives.
14. Contract with Hamner, Jewell & Associates for right-of-way acquisition services and authorize the Director of Public works to execute Project Supplement Agreements and amendments to the retainer agreement.
15. Contract with Merced Community College District for California Association of Social Rehabilitation Agencies instructional course for the period from February 7, 2012 through June 30, 2012 with a contract maximum of $11,330.
16. Contract with California Department of Public Health for community nutritional education and intervention services from November 1, 2011 through September 30, 2012, totaling $350,000, and adopt Resolution.
17. Direct staff to initiate a Zone Code Text Amendment to the sign provisions in Section 18.42 of the Zoning Code to provide for off-site advertising and illuminated animation on certain community entry signs and return to the board on February 28, 2012 for approval of a scope of work and contract for the environment review document required for this application.
18. Contract with Mental Health for Alcohol and Drug Counselor services to assess minors and provide counseling services as they enter the Juvenile Justice Correctional Complex and the Bear Creek Academy.
19. Approve the designation of the Merced County Department of Workforce Investment Program Manager, David Heyer, as the Merced County Enterprise Zone Manager and authorize the letter be sent to the Department of Housing and Community Development of the formal designation.
20. Approve the recommendation to appoint Joanne Presnell to serve on the Merced County Youth Council as the Workforce Investment Board representative, and Daphne Post as the representative of Organizations with Experience Relating to Youth Activities.
DEPT. OF ADMIN. SERVICES
21. Contract with The Creative Corral to create and produce the 2012 State Fair Exhibit on behalf of the County and sign the State Fair application for the space at the exhibit hall.
22. Authorize initiation of Request for Proposal (RFP) process, in conjunction with the Sheriff's Office, for video visitation equipment and services; select the most responsive bidder and return to the Board for contract award.
23. Authorize and direct the Clerk of the Board to execute and issue the "Memorandum" or Notice of Non-Authorization, pursuant to Government Code Section 53853(b) and serve notice to the relevant Districts that the Board of Supervisors will not authorize issuance of the TRANS within 45 calendar days, thereby freeing the Districts to issue the TRANS on their own respective behalves.
24. Approve the modified Resolution 2011-186 to change the effective date of the transfer of the County Clerk from the Treasurer/Tax Collector/Clerk to the Assessor/Recorder from January 5, 2015 to February 7, 2012; approve amendments to Position Allocation Resolution No. 2011-185 and Salary Allocation Resolution No. 2011-184 to change the effective date and amend titles to reflect new responsibilities; and adopt related resolutions.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
25. Authorize Special Board Project Funds-District Four in the amount of $5,000 to be utilized by Merced County Library Trust-Hilmar Branch for additional hours of operation.
26. Authorize Special Board Project Funds-District Four in the amount of $1,500 to be utilized by Merced County Library Trust-Winton Branch for additional hours of operation.
27. Authorize Special Board Project Funds-District Four in the amount of $1,500 to be utilized by Hilmar Historical Society to support their efforts in the community.
28. Authorize Special Board Project Funds-District One in the amount of $750 to be utilized by Cesar Chavez Middle School in Planada to assist with their Power Achievement Program.
30. San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC) - Appointment.
BOARD INFORMATION & POSSIBLE ACTION
31. Commerce, Aviation and Economic Development re: Enterprise Zone second expansion approval by the California Department of Housing and Community Development effective December 28, 2011.
32. Merced County Mosquito Abatement re: December 2011 Manager's Report.
33. State Dept. of Water Resources Control Board re: Notice of Petitions for Temporary Transfer for 20 Central Valley project permits and one license of U.S. Bureau of Reclamation.
POSSIBLE DIRECTION FOR FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
February 28, 2012
March 13, 2012
March 27, 2012