The County Clerk Division issues marriage licenses, performs civil marriage ceremonies, processes fictitious business name fillings, and provides for the qualification and registration of notaries, process servers and miscellaneous statutory oaths and other filings. All functions of the office are conducted under provisions of the State Constitution, and State and County Codes. Please see additional information under Services & Responsibilities.
OUR OFFICE WILL BE CLOSED ON MONDAY, OCTOBER 8TH.
We will resume normal business hours on Tuesday, October 9th.
The County Clerk's office has many varied responsibilities, which include:
- Issues public and confidential marriage licenses
- Performs civil ceremonies
- Provide certified copies of confidential marriage licenses
- Marriage applications are available on our Online Services page.
- Passport applications - see Merced County Registrar of Voters
- Fictitious Business Names (FBNs) - File Fictitious Business Name Statements forms as required by the California Business and Professions Code
- Notary Public Registrations
- Registers notary public oaths and commissions
- Accepts notary bonds for filing
- Maintains records of those filed
- Certifies to the authenticity of a notary
- Statement of Economic Interests - Form 700
Our office no longer accepts checks as payment except for recording of documents. Credit and debit card payments can be accepted in our office. There is a $2.50 fee for the use of credit and debit cards.